Homemade Fish Pie
Fish pie is one of my favourite comfort foods, the creamy soft texture of the mashed potatoes and the flaky pieces of fish remind me of happy childhood meal times.It is my no means a low-calorie dish but one I thoroughly recommend trying if you would like to eat more fish. There are several varieties of fish which work well with this dish and it is another dish that lends itself well to budgeting, I would recommend spending as much as you can afford and if possible responsibly sourced. Any firm white fish together with a smoked version (but not monk fish partly because it is expensive and partly because I don’t think its an appropriate dish to use it in) you can also use salmon but I wouldn’t bother using the smoked fish in that case.
I hope you enjoy the recipe, let me know if you have your own version of this recipe in the comments!
- 1 medium size fillet of white fish – cod/haddock/pollack
- 1 medium size fillet of smoked fish – similar to above1 pint of whole milk
- 750g of potatoes (not Estima variety)
- 1/2 bag of fresh spinach or 4 blocks of frozen
- 250g of frozen mixed vegetables
- 75g of grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp of plain flour
- 28g of butter
- 1 medium sized pie dish
- Peel the potatoes and place in large saucepan to boil.
- Place the fish flat in a large pan and cover with the milk, simmer on a low-medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place all the vegetables in the pie dish whilst the fish and potatoes are cooking and preheat your oven to 400f/200c/gas mark 5.
- Once the fish is cooked strain the milk into a heat proof jug and add the fish to the pie dish.
- To make the cheese sauce melt the butter in a pan on a low heat and whisk in the flour once its melted.
- Slowly add the warm milk whisking constantly.
- When you have used 3/4 of the milk add the grated cheese and continue to whisk.
- Add the last of the milk and whisk for another minute or so.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and vegetables.
- Layer the mashed potato on top and add extra grated cheese if desired.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown on top.
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!