Spanakopita Pie Thursdays
There is a place in the UK that actually does #spanakopitathursdays and I think it might need to start one closer to home. Its flaky pastry goodness is delicious beyond words, although I have included a proper recipe I normally make it in a food processor with feta and leave out the spring onions and ricotta. It works just as well as the dairy is actually not essential to the recipe, if you wanted to pick another then a hard goats milk cheese or maybe an ewes cheese or sub the dairy cheese for firm tofu. Its simplicity should be celebrated because it is just so delicious and there’s rarely leftovers. Buy your phyllo its much easter and its possible to get vegan options very easily now.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1kg spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 30g chopped fresh Dill
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten – or Equiv 2 egg flax egg replacers
- 125g ricotta cheese
- 250g crumbled feta cheese or firm tofu
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Prep: 30min › Cook: 50min › Ready in: 1hr20min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly oil a 23cm square baking tin.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Saute onion, spring onions and garlic until soft and lightly browned. Stir in spinach and dill, and continue to saute until spinach is limp about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs, ricotta and feta. Stir in spinach mixture. Lay 1 sheet of filo in a prepared baking tin, and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of filo on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat the process with two more sheets of filo. The sheets will overlap the tin. Spread spinach and cheese mixture into the tin and fold overhanging filo overfilling. Brush with oil, then layer remaining 4 sheets of filo, brushing each with oil. Tuck overhanging filo into the tin to seal the filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
Serve warm – suitable for snacking, appetizers, starters so enjoy it when you like.
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!