Happy National Hot Dog Day
Because we all deserve an interlude from the craziness that is life. I would like to wish the USA and Canada a very happy National Hot Dog Day!
Whilst I rarely indulge in a hot dog I do enjoy one occasionally and it’s usually me cooking them at home rather than ordering from a takeaway. There are plenty of different combinations and we could spend all day discussing which is superior but I prefer a simple mustard and gherkin combination, preferably a gluten-free bun and if the dog is kosher even better, a simple yet delicious snack. For those of you who like a bit of variety take a trip around the US and learn about how they do things, here are 5 combos for you to try at home:
- Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Green Tomato Salsa – add a little spice to your dog – why not try with vegetarian or vegan sausage.
- Mac and Cheese – true decadence comes from mac and cheese, enjoy this molten cheese dog overload after a few minutes under the grill.
- Mango Chutney – fruity and spicy an interesting alternative to Tomato ketchup.
- Mashed Potatoes and Gravy – turbocharge your dog – it’ll fill you up for the rest of the day.
- Poutine (Canadian dish made with French Fries & Cheese) – if you don’t know what poutine is you should go learn, it is the stodgy food of the gods and a side in itself for your dog.
I hasten to add that although hot dogs are very nice they are also not good for you. The processed meat contains high amounts of fat, and whilst one won’t kill you if you consume high amounts of processed meat it is likely to have a significant overall effect on your health. It is classed as a Class 1 Carcinogen by the World Health Organisation which makes for some disturbing reading. So with that in mind – enjoy your hot dog responsibly!
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!