Stuffed Croissants Part 2
Spicy eggs as we know is not a new thing, take kedgeree for example and I have already mentioned many times of my love for spicy egg sandwiches. A trip to Lidl yesterday meant I brought home the usual 4 all butter croissants fresh from the bakery. They are some of the nicest I’ve had outside of France. There was ham and cheese in the fridge and I had half planned to make a similar version of my bacon croissants. This was met with suspicion and after disappearing off to do a few things in the office I reappeared to discover that my friend had made a batch of his delicious spicy eggs and filled the croissants. Did it work you ask? Do you even have to ask? Of course it did, in fact I think adding mushrooms and spinach/rocket for those inclined would be an even better combination. These are not toasted so no need to worry if you don’t have a panini machine or similar.
Croissants A La Luke – Aka Spicy Egg Stuffed Croissants
- 6 Free Range Eggs
- 4 Good quality croissants – do not by the cheap ones!
- 3 Tbsp Mayonnaise – low fat if you like but I find it doesn’t taste as good.
- 1 Tbsp Medium/Mild Curry Powder – This does work with tandoori as well if that’s all you have.
- Optional: Sautéed garlic mushrooms, Spinach, Rocket
- Boil kettle of water
- Transfer boiling water to saucepan and ensure rolling boil before adding eggs. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes. N.b – you can add them to cold water to make hard boiled and adjust the cooking time accordingly, normally about 8 minutes in total.
- Drain the eggs and plunge into cold water to cool.
- Peel eggs and place in a bowl.
- Add the curry powder and mayonnaise and mash together – fold mushrooms now if using.
- Slice the croissants.
- Spread eggs on the croissants and add your leaves if using.
- Serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy my croissant series, do you have any things you like to stuff yours with? Let me know in the comments below or join the conversation at Facebook.com/onlynomeswriting or twitter.com/nomwritingfood.
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!