A Quick Easy Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
Saturday was my turn to cook, our freezer is starting to look quite empty but some chicken breasts hove too. Not wanting to make curry or any number of the hodge podge meals I’ve made before the idea of creamy honey mustard chicken became very inviting. Id never made it before (surprisingly) I didn’t have cream but I did have Greek yoghurt (surely that would work?) sold. I haphazardly threw 4 tablespoons of yoghurt into a bowl and squeezed the now quite thick runny honey into what looked like 2 teaspoons afterwards (you can taste and adjust) added what looked like a pretty big teaspoon of mustard which turned out to require just a bit more. It was pretty undramatic from then on really chicken in dish, sauce on-top – rather reminiscent of the store bought sauces but this was made with love and ingredients you could identify.
Pulling it out of the oven I was a little disappointed at how pale it was – putting it back for another 5 minutes just to be sure it was all cooked. The second time the sauce was sufficiently bubbling that I was satisfied it was ready and there was plenty of sauce!
Plating up was a joy because it looked good on the plate, the flecks of grainy mustard glinting in the kitchen light, it was creamy and delicious looking, my mouth watering in anticipation. I served it with a simple sweet potato mash – adding a glug of olive oil, a dash of dried rosemary, salt and pepper to the cooked sweet potato. The side was garlic steamed spinach and kale with garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4 Ingredient Honey Mustard Chicken (with variations)
- 2 Chicken Breasts (can also be swapped for seitan/quorn/large cauliflower steaks adjust cooking times by -10 minutes)
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt (or Dairy Free Alternative)
- 2 tsp Runny Honey (I imagine it would work well with maple for those averse to honey)
- 1.5 heaped tsp of grain mustard
- Pre-heat oven to 180c/356f and place the rack in the middle.
- Combine the mustard, yoghurt and honey/maple syrup until thoroughly mixed.
- Place chicken breast in ovenproof dish.
- Spoon over mixture until thoroughly covered. Season with salt and pepper. There will be some side spillage but this just makes extra sauce!
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes – do not over cook this will not brown quite in the same way as cheese dishes.
- Serve with rosemary sweet potato mash and sautéed garlic greens.
Well as you can see this is easiest recipe and almost all of us have all the ingredients – even if you only have the last bit of yoghurt in the bottom of the pot add a tiny bit of milk to loosen before mixing it with the mustard and honey. I hope you enjoy the recipe – apologies there were no pictures it was devoured in about 5 minutes flat.
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!